Thursday, September 21, 2006

Emma turns 6!!


Today is my beautiful daughter Emma’s 6th birthday! Of course, we had a party last weekend and celebrated with all our friends. Ok, I’m a mom and have to brag! Emma is such a sweet loving confident child. With my son, who is such a momma’s boy, I feel that all I do effects him, yet with Emma, I feel that I’m just along for the ride. She has developed into this cool little person, and all I’ve done is watch. Friendly and outgoing, Emma is always ready to share a hug- be it a best friend or a stranger. She loves her music, singing, and dancing and is always ready to perform! She is especially hilarious singing Korean pop songs- she “knows” all the words…ok not really, but it sure looks like it. She once took the “mic” at a party at our house and sang along with Jewelry’s Superstar for some of my Korean friends. It was sooo cute! I do know she has the entire High School Musical OST memorized! Her teacher told me the other day that Emma is “all girl” which is so true, but she’ll still pick up frogs, geckos, and lizards too! I love it!

On her birthday, I can’t help but think of her birthmother. On this day, I feel a bit inadequate as her mom. Yeah, I’m her mom, but I’m not responsible for bringing her into this world. I have her birthmom to thank for that. In a world where abortion is readily available, I’m grateful for her b-mom’s courage to carry the pregnancy to term and then go through the pain of placing her for adoption. I can’t imagine a greater love and sacrifice. So, on this day, I pay tribute to her b-mom, who is no doubt, consumed with memories of the short time she spent with her daughter. I cannot share with Emma what her actual birthday was like….what the weather was like, where her b-mom was when labor started, who was at the delivery, what her first days of life were like. These are precious and most likely bittersweet memories that belong to her birthmom alone. I can only hope that one day, Emma can sit and hold her b-mom’s hand and hear her story first hand. For my part, I will do my best to love and raise my wonderful daughter well.

Happy Birthday my sweet Emma! I love you!!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tears rolling down my cheeks. You are such a wonderful lady!

Do you celebrate the special adoption date also? My mom's best friend adopted a girl from Korea over 30 years ago and she still celebrates her adoption date because it celebrates her adoptive parents, her good fortune they found each other and birth mother giving her the greatest gift of a better life.

She has never been interested in finding her birth mom even after starting her own family even with gently prodding. My best friend's brother was adopted at 3 years old and doesn't have any curiousity about his birth parents either.

He emailed me from the east coast where he just received his doctorate and told me at over 6 ft tall and his degree, he has to fend off the blond, blue eyed girls over there! He thought it was funny because there are hardly any blond, blue eyed girls here in Hawaii and growing up he only saw them on TV so when they 'hit on' him he has to turn around to make sure they're talking to him. hahah!

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,

Tears here, too! What a mixture of joy and sorrow we have as we celebrate our children's birthdays. You wrote eloquently and I appreciate your thoughts.

How can it be that our youngest kiddos are Six?! I wish we could have a get-together to celebrate. Hugs and Smiles to Emma with wishes for a very happy year ahead!

~Ann

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me all teary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home